By: Jennifer Chubinski
The public health departments and healthcare systems in our region are collecting data and community feedback about what needs to be done to improve our region’s health. Not only are they charged with providing top-notch care for people who visit their facilities, but because of new IRS regulations, each nonprofit healthcare system now must identify the community’s health needs, make a plan to improve the health of the general population, and share those plans with the public (attaching their report to their 990 tax form).
Many of these organizations are working with the Health Collaborative on this process. The health systems are required to do a Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) for each hospital building. This process was completed for the first time in 2013 (see my previous blog about the 2013 process). The table below shows what each hospital identified as their community health-improvement priorities in 2013. Several hospitals cited obesity, mental health and diabetes.
Table 1: A sample of health issues identified for select regional hospitals
Do you think these are the right priorities for community health improvement? Hospitals must complete a new assessment in 2016 so they are collecting and reviewing health data and getting feedback on their community health improvement plans. If you or your organization want to share an opinion about how to improve our region’s health, please attend one of the community outreach meetings listed below. For more information or to RSVP, please email RSVP@healthcollab.org or call 513-618-2862. If you can’t attend a meeting, please complete the online survey.
Feedback from the general public is a critical and required part of each of these plans. Please take the time to make your voice heard!!
- RIPLEY COUNTY: Tuesday, June 23, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Big Four Café, 121 S. Depot St., Batesville, IN 47006. Phone: 812-932-3687
- FRANKLIN COUNTY: Tuesday, June 23, 4-6 p.m., Franklin County Government Center, Room 203, 1010 Franklin Ave., Brookville, IN 47012. Phone: 765-647-332
- BOONE, CAMPBELL AND KENTON COUNTIES: Thursday, June 25, 6-8 p.m., Life Learning Center, 20 W. 18th St., Covington, KY 41011
- ADAMS, BROWN, HIGHLAND, SCIOTO AND PIKE COUNTIES: Tuesday, June 30, 3-5 p.m., Adams County Hospital, 230 Medical Center Drive, Seaman, OH 45679
- DEARBORN, OHIO AND SWITZERLAND COUNTIES: Wednesday, July 1, noon-2 p.m. Dearborn County Hospital – Ohio Room, 600 Wilson Creek Road, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
- WARREN COUNTY: Tuesday, July 7,6-8 p.m., Lebanon Presbyterian Church, 123 N. East St., Lebanon, OH 45036
- HAMILTON COUNTY: Wednesday, July 15, 6-8 p.m., Cincinnati-Hamilton County Community Action Agency (CAA), Gwen L. Robinson Auditorium, 1740 Langdon Farm Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237. Phone: 513-569-4353
- PREBLE AND UNION COUNTIES: Thursday, July 16, or Wednesday, July 29, (TBD)
- CLERMONT COUNTY: Tuesday, July 28, 6-8 p.m. Child Focus Inc., 555 Cincinnati-Batavia Pike, Cincinnati, OH 45244
- BUTLER COUNTY: Thursday, July 30, 6-8 p.m., Lane Public Library, 1396 University Blvd., Hamilton, OH 45011